BEACH HOUSE - ONCE TWICE MELODY (Cassette)
• First new album since 2018 from the standard-bearers of modern atmospheric indie-pop.
• Beach House releases have scanned more than 1.5 million, 607k of which were physical sales, over the band’s career.
• The band’s audience has tripled recently due to massive online exposure: “Space Song” (from 2015’s Depression Cherry) was in two separate TikTok memes, while “Silver Soul” (from 2010’s Teen Dream) was sampled by Kendrick Lamar and subsequently got tons of exposure on TikTok.
• Catalog sales are higher than ever, with new and longtime fans primed for a new album.
• On Spotify, the band has 1.3 million followers, 6.4 million monthly listeners.
• Extensive press and radio campaigns begin November 10, 2021.
• Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland
Once Twice Melody is the 8th studio album by Beach House. It is a double album, featuring 18 songs presented in 4 chapters. Across these songs, many types of style and song structures can be heard. Songs without drums, songs centered around acoustic guitar, mostly electronic songs with no guitar, wandering and repetitive melodies, songs built around the string sections. In addition to new sounds, many of the drum machines, organs, keyboards and tones that listeners may associate with previous Beach House records remain present throughout many of the compositions.
Beach House is Victoria Legrand, lead singer and multi-instrumentalist, and Alex Scally, guitarist and multi-instrumentalist. They write all of their songs together. Once Twice Melody is the ﬁrst album produced entirely by the band. The live drums are by James Barone (same as their 2018 album, 7), and were recorded at Pachyderm studio in Minnesota and United Studio in Los Angeles. For the ﬁrst time, a live string ensemble was used. Strings were arranged by David Campbell.
The writing and recording of Once Twice Melody began in 2018 and was completed in July of 2021. Most of the songs were created during this time, though a few date back over the previous 10 years. Most of the recording was done at Apple Orchard Studio in Baltimore. Once Twice Melody was mixed largely by Alan Moulder but a few tracks were also mixed by Caesar Edmunds, Trevor Spencer, and Dave Fridmann.
1. Once Twice Melody
3. Pink Funeral
4. Through Me
7. New Romance
8. Over and Over
10. Only You Know
11. Another Go Around
13. Illusion of Forever
15. The Bells
16. Hurts to Love
17. Many Nights
18. Modern Love Stories